Moist, sweet and irresistible chocolate coffee cupcakes made with cold brewed coffee and frosted with coffee flavored buttercream. Now you can drink your coffee and eat it too!
I used to be a black tea lover, that is when my little princess took 2-3 naps a day and I had time to sit down and relax for a minute or two. But those days are over. There are no more naps, the to-do list is longer than ever and I’m always on the run. That’s when coffee came into the picture.
I drink coffee first thing in the morning, coffee after lunch and one more cup after dinner. 3 cups of coffee and lots of chocolate are what keeps me going day after day.
Enjoying a cup of coffee while watching my little princess playing hopscotch in front of the house the idea of adding coffee to a sweet treat came to mind. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while you know it’s not the first time I use coffee in sweet treats. From cupcakes to rolls and even brownies – I love eating my coffee, not just drinking it.
For these cupcakes I used a cup of cold brewed coffee in the batter and a few drops, just to add a little flavor, in the frosting as well.
Yields 18 cupcakes
Moist, sweet and irresistible chocolate coffee cupcakes made with cold brewed coffee and frosted with coffee flavored buttercream.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) room temperature butter
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed cold coffee
- 1 3/4 cup (210 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1 tbsp brewed cold coffee
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line two cupcake pans with 18 paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cold coffee to the creamed butter.
- Mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes before placing them on wire racks to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are completely chilled, make the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the butter for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the powder sugar, 1/2 cup at the time, whisking well.
- When all the sugar is incorporated add the cold coffee and enough heavy cream to reach the desired consistency. Whisk for an additional minute.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag and frost the cupcakes.
- Grate some chocolate on top or sprinkle some crushed candy (optional)
Sending love your way,
Deborah H. Bateman says
Denise Browning@From Brazil To You says
Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen says
Lisa@ Cooking with Curls says
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet says
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet says
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
Averie @ Averie Cooks says
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking says
Joan / My Cookie Clinic says
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef says
Emily @ Life on Food says
Chris @ The Café Sucre Farine says
Leslie Pieper-McQueen says
Yvonne Reynolds says