There’s something magical about one pot pasta dinners and this creamy cheese tortellini and chicken skillet is the ultimate combination of weeknight convenience and homey comfort food.
I can’t say enough about this cheese tortellini and chicken skillet. It’s by far my favorite way to enjoy tortellini. It’s easy to make, 15 minutes max of prep time, it’s filled with veggies and chicken breast all cooked in a creamy sauce topped with extra cheese. Oh, did I mention you only need one skillet? No need to pre-cook the pasta in a separate pot.
This, my friends is the what I call a successful weeknight dinner for any family. No matter how crazy busy our life is, I’m sure we’ll find the time to put this meal together and have dinner ready in no time.
And just like any other comfort food, it calls for ingredients I’m sure we all have in the kitchen.
Onion, bell peppers (optional), tomatoes, chicken, peas and tortellini. To make the creamy sauce you’ll need chicken stock and greek yogurt. A handful of shredded cheese to top the casserole and you’re done.
My favorite tortellini are the ones filled with three cheeses or the spinach and cheese ones, but you can use your favorite in the recipe. The same goes for the veggies. I only had peas on hand but you can add green beans, corn, or a mixture of all of them.
To cut on prep time I used canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes are a kitchen sample around here. Diced, fire roasted, whole or crushed I have at least 20 cans any time in the pantry. My favorite brand is Muir Glen, available at most grocery stores. Their organic tomatoes won me over years ago.
I lost track how many times canned tomatoes helped me save prep time and get a homemade meal on the table for my family.
No matter the time of the year the tomatoes in the Muir Glen cans are sealed with freshness and natural goodness. They can be used in various meals, one pot pasta like this creamy cheese tortellini and chicken bake, or as a base for marinara sauce.
Looking for other ideas using canned produce? Check out Cans get you cooking website. You can also follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube
Yields 8 to 10 servings
There's something magical about one pot pasta dinners and this creamy cheese tortellini and chicken skillet is the ultimate combination of weeknight convenience and homey comfort food.
15 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 1-2 bell peppers, chopped (optional)
- 2 x 14oz cans Muir Glen diced tomatoes
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 9 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite fresh herbs, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- In a 10-inch deep dish skillet, heat oil on medium-low. Add onion, bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add canned tomatoes and heat for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken to the skillet. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and add another pinch of salt, pepper and the herbs.
- Stir in the chicken stock, greek yogurt, peas and refrigerated tortellini.
- Level the mixture in the skillet and place in the heated oven. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Without turning the oven off, sprinkle the cheese on top of the skillet and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Disclosure : I have been compensated for this post through a partnership with Mom it Forward. Recipe, photography and opinions are all mine.
la Torontoise says
Chloe @ foodlikecake says
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
Emily @ Life on Food says
Sandy C. says
Sandy C. says
Julie V. says
Ramona George says
Annie Wheaton-Kenner says